Web lists-archives.com

Re: Setting up Philips SPC 200NC webcam

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:33:30 -0000
"Anthony Hilton" <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apologies if this is too basic for here - please redirect me to
> documentation or another mail list if appropriate.

Hi Anthony,

This list is not used anymore. The Linux video stuff is now discussed in
linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (look at http://www.linuxtv.org/).

	[snip]
> I have a Philips SPC 200NC USB webcam connected to my OpenSuSE system,
> which I want to use with Skype.
	[snip]
> xawtv-3.95 running on Linus/i686 (2.6.31.14-0.4-default) will display
> webcam video in a window so I'm nearly there. On startup it reports:
	[snip]
> the xawtv menu shows video source zc3xx
>
> Cheese 2.28.1 flickers the webcam indicator when loading but only ever
> displays the test pattern.
>
> Skype (2.1 beta) also flickers the webcam indicator when  I attempt to
> test the webcam but I don't see any image.
>
> I'm hoping that if I get Cheese working Skype will also work.

First, your kernel may be somewhat old, because the driver of your
webcam is zc3xx (which is part of the gspca framework) and there were
many bug fixes since this time. If you cannot get a newer kernel, you
may get the gspca test version from my web page (see below).

Then, all the video drivers moved from the v4l1 to the v4l2 API, while
not all applications did. For these ones, the v4l library is required
(in fact, it is always required because it contains the image conversion
routines). The simplest way to do it is to use a wrapper containing:

	export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
	skype	# or any v4l application

(better use a script otherwise, the export command slows a bit the non
video applications)

Regards.

--
Ken ar c'hentaÃ	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/