Web lists-archives.com

Re: Video capture device

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 14:50 +0200, Jorge Cabrera wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 13:56 +0200, Jorge Cabrera wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 13:30 +0200, Jorge Cabrera wrote:

Thanks for your reply and your advice Roger. Problem is that using a
webcam is not an option right now because the solution that we have to
provide is by using a usb video capture device connected to a camera.
Have anyone tried one of those with linux?
You mean that you have something like a Dazzle video capture device
connected to the USB and a camera attached to that? What usb capture
device are you using? Many are supported. But not all of them.

Yes exactly, I'm using Avermedia EZMaker USB Gold
(http://tienda.avermedia.es/product.aspx?productid=81126). The device
have linux drivers and it seem to work ok but I'm having the problems
I mentioned before.
I use v4lctl to configure devices. The configurations stay until the
devices are repowered. Have you tried this?

Yes, I tried that and v4l2ctl too but some programs like mplayer read
the configuration change but cheese for example or flash didn't. I
would change the default input from tuner (the default) to s-video or
any other kind and nothing.

Hmm. It is not a matter of the program reading your changes. They are
set in the driver. If they are not used, it is because flash is actively
setting a different value from what the driver had when flash started.
This means that flash must have it's own way of specifying these
settings. flash really is crappy...

Perhaps one hack would be to recompile the driver with the defaults you
need. But I suspect even that would fail as it seems flash actively sets
the values. You might try removing from the driver the options you do
not want so they are not available to flash. But I bet flash has some
assumptions that expect these settings, and it would fail if they are
not present.

I don't think I can offer more.
Well, it's weird because I already tried recompiling the driver but there was no option for changing the default input there. We started to think here that it is somehow the way the device is supposed to work. That's why I was thinking of trying with another device. But I'm afraid that I'll end up facing the same problems.

Thanks a lot for your help Roger and have a good weekend
--
Jorge Cabrera
Ãndago IngenierÃa - www.andago.com

TelÃfono: +34 916 011 373
MÃvil: +34 637 741 034
e-mail: jorge.cabrera@xxxxxxxxxx

C/Alcalde Ãngel Arroyo n.Â10 1.ÂPl. (28904) Getafe, Madrid