Web lists-archives.com

Contiguous memory allocations

Does anyone know if there's a common infrastructure for allocation
of DMA'able memory by drivers and applications above the straight
kernel API (dma_alloc_coherent)?

I'm working with Freescale i.MX51 drivers to do 720P video
input and output and the embedded calls to dma_alloc_coherent
fail except when used right after boot because of fragmentation.

I'm fighting the urge to write yet another special-purpose allocator
for video buffers thinking this must be a common problem with a
solution already, but I can't seem to locate one.

The closest thing I've found is the bigphysarea patch, which doesn't
appear to be supported or headed toward main-line.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Nelson