Web lists-archives.com

Re: Chronic USB disconnect events for Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 100 video capture device

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Ben Swartzlander <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 100 USB video capture device hooked up to a
security camera capturing video 24/7. A few times a month, my kernel
suddenly decides that the USB device was disconnected and reconnected,
resulting in the device getting a new number and causing my recording
software to stop recording until I restart it with the new device number.
Here is an example of the dmesg output when it happens:

The USB host controller might be going to sleep if the PC's
suspend/resume kicked in.  Or, is there a USB hub involved which might
have been power cycled?  It's pretty hard to figure out *why* the
hardware decided to disconnect the USB device.

The reason the device gets a new device number is because it is still
in use when the disconnect occurs.  If the application were not
running at the time of the disconnect event, you would get the same
device number.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that these sorts of devices are
not really designed for capture 24/7, so it might be overheating or
some bug in the hardware.

Devin

try to update to ubuntu 9.04 from 8.10 this solve my problem

but I think I need to modprobe blacklist any usb keu that need the ehci (usb2)

or it kicks my em2860 vstream to usb1 hub

8.10 = my ehci was loaded after ohci

9.04 = ehci loaded before all the time

--

This message has been verified by LastSpam (http://www.lastspam.com) eMail security service, provided by SoluLAN Ce courriel a ete verifie par le service de securite pour courriels LastSpam (http://www.lastspam.com), fourni par SoluLAN (http://www.solulan.com) www.solulan.com