Web lists-archives.com

Re: Terratec Cinergy 600 TV MK3: Problem with Radio/RDS

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 12.11.2009, 21:35 +0100 schrieb Roland Egli:
> hermann pitton wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> For RDS reception, you need a strong signal since the RDS carrier's
> >> level is well below the audio carrier level. Your only chance is to
> >> improve reception. What kind of antenna are you using? Are you sure it's
> >> connected to the _radio_ antenna jack and not the TV?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Hans
> >>

> > Hans, for what I know it makes no difference on that tuner, if radio
> > comes in from the TV antenna connector or from the radio connector.
> >
> > At least we don't have some dedicated separating RF input switch for
> > that.
> >
> > For example, the other way round, if you have a cable TV provider also
> > providing radio, and radio freqs are not filtered from the TV input
> > connected, radio will just work fine from the TV antenna connector and
> > likely are all stereo. I can't tell anything for RDS.
> >
> > If you now also connect that cheap rabbit ears antenna mostly coming
> > with such cards, this might lead to overlapping frequencies noticed as
> > too much noise on radio. Maybe we still miss something, but it is not in
> > the tuner specs.
> >
> > Me and one single other guy reported loud thrilling noise for radio if
> > tuned into off on later driver revisions. I'm still not sure, if it is
> > only caused by machine specific interferences, a network cable had some
> > impact on it, but I saw/heard it later also on FMD hybrid devices on a
> > different machine.
> >
> > To connect the rabbit ears to the radio antenna connector will turn that
> > annoying noise into normal static. On that FMD hybrid you usually will
> > have the better radio reception from a roof mounted antenna for DVB-T
> > and there is also no active RF input switching like we only saw it later
> > on silicon hybrid devices.
> >
> > For radio stereo it needs still some v4l2 app and kradio and mplayer
> > with v4l2 radio support are still the best candidates, but I'm not on
> > latest on radio apps around currently.
> >
> > Reception improvement is of course still the best key for all.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hermann
> >

> Thanks for the answers and your further quesions, which I can answer here:
> - I receive Radio and TV via cable, so the signal strength is ok (for
> stereo and rds)
> - There are no frequency-filters so the tuner gets the whole bandwith
> - In Windows with the original Terratec-SW everything (incl. RDS) works
> fine.
>
> So I assume, there must be a problem in the driver in the area of radio.
>
> Thanks for further help in advance.
> Roland

hm, Roland, radio sound is very noisy and not stereo.

To start from top and latest radio bug I do remember.

It is not _all_ only noise for radio with v4l1 apps and we don't deal
with the bug described here you might eventually have fun with?

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg09814.html

Cheers,
Hermann