Web lists-archives.com

Re: Capturing video and still images using one driver

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Robert Jarzmik wrote:

> Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I came across the same problem when working on the rj54n1cb0c driver.
> > What's even more exciting with that sensor, is that it has separate
> > frame-size settings for preview (video) and still capture.
>
> It seems this behaviour is generic across several sensors. As far as I know, the
> mt9m111 has 2 modes : low power low resolution, and high power high resolution,
> and both are programmable apart (in terms of resolution, zoom, etc ...)
>
> What this makes me think is that a sensor could provide several "contexts" of
> use, as :
>  - full resolution still image context
>  - low resolution still image context
>  - full resolution video context
>  - low resolution video context

Why fixed resolutions? Just make it possible to issue S_FMT for video or
for still imaging... That would work seamlessly with several inputs
(S_INPUT, S_FMT...).

> Then, a new/existing v4l2 call would switch the context (perhaps based on buffer
> type ?) of the sensor.

...on a second thought, it doesn't seem that smart to me any more to tie
the streaming vs. still mode distinction to a specific buffer type...

> Well, that's just some junk I've been thinking over lately.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.