Web lists-archives.com

what is /dev/video0 entry?

Hi all
    When kernel boots up the Video4Linux driver is registered as a character driver with major number 81.If i plug-in my UVC compliant webcam, the UVC driver creates an entry in /dev/video0.Now i want to write an application for testing my webcam.I came to know that for writing an application for communicating with the webcam we can use the V4L2 APIs provided by the linux kernel.Are these V4L2 APIs from the video4linux driver?Also could anyone kindly tell me what is the /dev/video0 entry?Is this entry used for communicating with the video device?

Thanks & Regards
Ananth