Web lists-archives.com

Re: SUCCESS - KWorld VS-USB2800D recognized as PointNix Intra-Oral Camera - No Composite Input

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM, chris snow <chsnow123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is this hardware any good? There is a lot of 1 star reviews on amazon.co.uk,
> but I'm not sure if it's user error rather than the hardware....
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris

It's not a bad piece of hardware in terms of capture quality.  Bear in
mind that it only has S-Video and composite inputs - it does not have
a tuner.  Also, the audio feed comes through the external cable, so
you need to hook that to the line-in on your soundcard.  It also
doesn't have an IR receiver or blaster, so not well suited for
controlling a cable box.

One more warning: they just released a new version of the product
which uses a different chip.  As a result, if you haven't bought it
yet you might end up with the new version, which *is* supported in the
latest v4l-dvb tree, but that support was introduced after Ubuntu 9.10
took the kernel.

In other words, it's all about what you intend to do with the product.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com