Web lists-archives.com

Upgrading from FC4 to current Linux

I am looking for a video solution which works on recent Linux, like Fedora-11. Video used to be easy, plug in the capture device, install xawtv via rpm, and use. However, recent versions of Fedora simply don't work, even on the same hardware, due to /dev/dsp no longer being created and the applications like xawtv or tvtime still looking for it.

The people who will be using this are looking for hardware which is still made and sold new, and software which can be installed by a support person who can plug in cards (PCI preferred) or USB devices, and install rpms. I maintain the servers on Linux there, desktop support is unpaid (meaning I want a solution they can use themselves).

We looked at vlc, which seems to want channel frequencies in kHz rather than channels, mythtv, which requires a database their tech isn't able (or willing) to support, etc.

It seems that video has gone from "easy as Windows" 3-4 years ago to "insanely complex" according to to one person in that group who wanted an upgrade on his laptop. There is some pressure from Windows users to mandate Win7 as the desktop, which Linux users are rejecting.

The local cable is a mix of analog channels (for old TVs) and clear qam. The capture feeds from the monitor system are either S-video or three wire composite plus L-R audio. Any reasonable combination of cards (PCI best, PCIe acceptable), USB device, and application which can monitor/record would be fine, but the users are not going to type in kHz values, create channel tables, etc. They want something as easy to use as five years ago.

Any thoughts?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>