Web lists-archives.com

Re: NTSC/ATSC device recommendation

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Ben Swartzlander<ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> rray_1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under Linux
>> MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
>> Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
>> I have followed this list and have only become more confused
>>
>> Thanks
>> Richard
>
> I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 USB sticks in my MythTV box (Ubuntu 8.04).
> USB is preferable to PCI for all kinds of reasons. I bought mine here:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116031
>
> Note that if you go with this device, you'll need to manually add the
> firmware to your /lib/firmware directory. You can get the firmware here:
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
>
> There are plenty of other supported devices though. When I was doing my
> research, this page was an extremely useful resource for Linux ATSC
> hardware: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices
>
> -Ben

I'm really familiar with the HVR-850, and figured it would be worth
mentioning that the HVR-850 only very recently got analog support in
the Linux driver, and it has some issues with MythTV in particular
(which I haven't had a chance to fix yet).  So if you're planning on
doing analog with MythTV, that may not be a good device to go with
right now.

Cheers,

Devin

--