Web lists-archives.com

Re: video loopback device

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Stefano
Sabatini<stefano.sabatini-lala@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for an application/driver which let to create a
> virtual device where to send the video output of an application or of
> another video device.
>
> Typical application would be for example to capture from a webcam,
> apply some filter to it, and finally pulish it to another application
> reading from a video device.
>
> I see there are at least three distinct projects which provides a
> video for loopback device:
>
> * video4linux loopback device/vloopback:
>  http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice
>
>  Seems to be unmaintained, also if I'm not wrong it only supports
>  video4linux and not video4linux 2 API.
>
> * video4linux2 virtual device
>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/v4l2vd/
>
>  This should be the successor of vloopback, unfortunately it seem not
>  to work with linux 2.6.26:
>  https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2897804&forum_id=579262
>
>  and also seems a little unmaintained.
>
> * http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/
>
>  I don't know if there are applications using it, just read about it
>  in this ML.
>
> I wonder if someone can express an opinion on these projects, for
> example to tell their current status / usability.
>
> TIA, regards.
>
> --

Hello, I am an author of http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/
this driver works with kernels up to 2.6.30 and I also written small
helper program to apply video effects
http://code.google.com/p/v4lsink/

It works fine with skype and there is bug report about interaction
with adobe flash. I started this driver exactly because all others did
not work with skype.

by the way, this mailing list is no longer used, please go to
linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list

vasaka