Web lists-archives.com

hdpvr firmware and controls

Hi,

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR (model 1227, revision E2). I have tried using it both with the 2.6.30 kernel (debian package) as well as 2.6.26 with the latest code from the v4l-dvb repo compiled on top.

I have a couple of questions regarding the hdpvr driver:

- First of all, the driver says this, when loading:
hdpvr 7-1:1.0: untested firmware version 0x12, the driver might not work
Should I be worried? I've read about pre-loading the firmware but I don't think it applies/makes a difference for these units.

- I've noticed that at least one control is missing among the ones listed by v4l2-ctl -l: GOP mode. I haven't used the HD PVR in Windows but I think this control is available under some DirectX control properties. It is also available in Steven Toth's HDPVR Capture tool for MacOS. Is it missing from the v4l driver?

- According to an FAQ by Hauppauge it seems that it is possible to select the format of the bitstream the HD PVR delivers: TS, M2TS (HDMV) or MP4. I haven't confirmed it but if so, it would also be handy to be able to control this.

My goal is to do live streaming using the A/V bitstream as encoded by the HD PVR. So far I've had little success because VLC doesn't fully understand (0.8.6h) or chokes (0.9.9a) on the MPEG-TS coming from the device. I'm looking for other alternatives but I'd also like to try to make this as simple as possible (GOP mode = simple, "plain" TS instead of HDMV).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Z.