Web lists-archives.com

Re: working on webcam driver

2009/5/11 MK <halfcountplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi.  I'm a fledgling C programmer who just started work on a usb webcam
> driver in order to learn about kernel programming.  So far, all I have
> done is gotten the device to register, and iterated through the
> available interfaces (there are nine with three endpoints each, an iso,
> an interrupt, and a bulk in).
>
> Anyway, before I proceed, I thought I should clarify for myself "the
> big picture" of what I am doing.  I do not have a webcam that works
> under linux, so the whole apparatus is fuzzy; I am under the impression
> that the kernel modules work with the (seperate) video4linux subsystem?
> I have the USB Video Class Specifications and am busy reading that to
> find out how the camera itself operates, but vis. the linux end of
> things, can you point me to any technical documentation that might
> clarify what the driver will be expected to do?  At this point, I am
> assuming I will have to deliver a device node, but I don't know what
> calls will be made to it etc.
>
> Help and advice is much appreciated.  Of course, best of all would be a
> few general pointers from someone who has actually done this before...

Hi Mark,
First of all, this list is deprecated. Send mails to
linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you want to reach the kernel community.

Secondly, have you researched that there is no existing driver for
your camera? A good way to start would perhaps to search for the usb
id and linux in google to see if it generates some hits.

If you don't find any existing driver, you should base your new one on
the gspca framework as it does a lot of the webcam groundwork for you.

Hope this helps,
Erik