Web lists-archives.com

working on webcam driver

Hi.  I'm a fledgling C programmer who just started work on a usb webcam
driver in order to learn about kernel programming.  So far, all I have
done is gotten the device to register, and iterated through the
available interfaces (there are nine with three endpoints each, an iso,
an interrupt, and a bulk in).

Anyway, before I proceed, I thought I should clarify for myself "the
big picture" of what I am doing.  I do not have a webcam that works
under linux, so the whole apparatus is fuzzy; I am under the impression
that the kernel modules work with the (seperate) video4linux subsystem?
I have the USB Video Class Specifications and am busy reading that to
find out how the camera itself operates, but vis. the linux end of
things, can you point me to any technical documentation that might
clarify what the driver will be expected to do?  At this point, I am
assuming I will have to deliver a device node, but I don't know what
calls will be made to it etc.

Help and advice is much appreciated.  Of course, best of all would be a
few general pointers from someone who has actually done this before...

Sincerely, Mark Eriksen