Web lists-archives.com

Sound capture with Osprey 230

Hi all,
I've been using Osprey 230 cards for AV capture for several years, earlier
with a modified version of Viewcast's driver but it was never very stable.
When doing a new setup I therefore wanted to get the Alsa driver to work. I
found that there were two trees in the repository in regards to these cards,
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/osprey and http://linuxtv.org/hg/~tap/osprey.
It seems that mchehab tree is the patches that Viewcast submitted which does
not address the necessary changes for ALSA driver while tap tree does but
for Osprey 440 and older kernels.

I've therefore ported the changes from tap to the main tree and added
support for detecting Osprey 210/220/230 plus a minor fix to support
specifying digital_rate as module parameter. It might also work for Osprey
240 (which is PCI-e variant of 230) but I don't have any such card so I
haven't been able to test.

The only question mark I have is that the current implementation use the
depreciated interfaces from bttv-if.c to find which bttv driver corresponds
to this audio driver and adds a function to get the bttv core. It is
suggested to use the routines in bttv-gpio.c instead but I don't find an
obvious replacement for bttv_get_pcidev nor how to get bttv_core.

I see two alternatives:
1. Implement snd-87x module as a subdevice to bttv. Is this correct as the
video and audio devices are two separate pci devices?
2. Implement a hook in snd-87x module which register a subdevice with bttv
to get hold of bttv_core. Seams a bit upside down
Any suggestions?

The patch in its current form is attached.
/Sverker