Web lists-archives.com

Re: Hauppauge WinTV-hvr-1800 PCIe won't work with tvtime or mplayer.

On Sunday 10 May 2009, William Case wrote:
>Hi CityK;
>
>On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 20:33 -0400, CityK wrote:
>> William Case wrote:
>>
>> Note: cx88 associated modules do NOT apply to this device (cx88 driver
>> modules are for the PCI based cx2388x chipsets, where x=0/1,2,3).  This
>> is a PCIe based device which is serviced, amongst others, by the cx23885
>> driver module.
>
>I have removed all the extra modules I have been playing with and
>removed any modprobe instructions I had been trying.
>
>> Also, have a look in the wiki for the device article which appears to
>> contain some info that would be useful for you.
>
>I re-installed v4l-dvb-4c7466ea8d64.tar.bz2, as suggested on the wiki.
>The extracted files are in /lib/modules/["kernel
>version"]/kernel/drivers/media with today's installation date. (last
>modified)
>
>> With a hardware encoding device, the /dev/video0 should be the MPEG2
>> stream whereas /dev/video1 would be the raw stream compatible with apps
>> like tvtime.  mplayer /dev/video0 should work. .... note that the node
>> number (N) of the character device (/dev/videoN) will be different if
>> you have multiple devices installed in the system, so you will have to
>> adjust accordingly.
>
>I am trying to set up analog viewing through my cable provider.
>tvtime.xml is set to video0. It still gives me an excellent picture but
>no sound. video1 just gives me a black screen - no sound.
>
>On mplayer device=/dev/video0 remains the same --terrible picture; no
>sound. mplayer device=/dev/video0 produces the error message
>'vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..' and quits.
>
>The mplayer script I am using is a slightly modified copy of the command
>suggested on the wiki.
>
>Basically the info I submitted originally remains the same except the
>cx2388x modules are gone.
>
>Usually I like to work away at these kind problems until I conquer them
>myself.  But I have been on this one for over two weeks and I am driving
>myself to distraction.  I really do appreciate your time and advice.

What kind of a card do you have again, Bill? My pcHDTV-3000 is cx88 based.

>From lspci:
01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI
Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
01:08.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video
and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)

Does anyone know if a digital output capability would show up in this lspci?

cx88_alsa can be loaded here but has no effect.  I shut the analog mic circuit
down and went looking for a pci feed to the card but came up empty.

I use the mic input on my audigy2, and have, in kmix, any of the audio boosts
available muted so the mic input isn't too much more sensitive than a line
input might be.

And I edited the tvtime.xml file to link the tvtime volume control (the left-
right arrows on the keyboard) by way of this piece of the last option line in
.tvtime/tvtime.xml:

<option name="MixerDevice" value="/dev/mixer:mic"/>

So that the tvtime volume control can be seen to run the mic gains in kmix and
vice-versa.

I'm listening to it right now.  Nice and clean.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)