Web lists-archives.com

Re: Hauppauge WinTV-hvr-1800 PCIe won't work with tvtime or mplayer.

Hi CityK;

On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 20:33 -0400, CityK wrote:
> William Case wrote:

> Note: cx88 associated modules do NOT apply to this device (cx88 driver
> modules are for the PCI based cx2388x chipsets, where x=0/1,2,3).  This
> is a PCIe based device which is serviced, amongst others, by the cx23885
> driver module.

I have removed all the extra modules I have been playing with and
removed any modprobe instructions I had been trying.

> Also, have a look in the wiki for the device article which appears to
> contain some info that would be useful for you.

I re-installed v4l-dvb-4c7466ea8d64.tar.bz2, as suggested on the wiki.
The extracted files are in /lib/modules/["kernel
version"]/kernel/drivers/media with today's installation date. (last
modified)

> With a hardware encoding device, the /dev/video0 should be the MPEG2
> stream whereas /dev/video1 would be the raw stream compatible with apps
> like tvtime.  mplayer /dev/video0 should work. .... note that the node
> number (N) of the character device (/dev/videoN) will be different if
> you have multiple devices installed in the system, so you will have to
> adjust accordingly.

I am trying to set up analog viewing through my cable provider.
tvtime.xml is set to video0. It still gives me an excellent picture but
no sound. video1 just gives me a black screen - no sound.

On mplayer device=/dev/video0 remains the same --terrible picture; no
sound. mplayer device=/dev/video0 produces the error message
'vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..' and quits.

The mplayer script I am using is a slightly modified copy of the command
suggested on the wiki.

Basically the info I submitted originally remains the same except the
cx2388x modules are gone.

Usually I like to work away at these kind problems until I conquer them
myself.  But I have been on this one for over two weeks and I am driving
myself to distraction.  I really do appreciate your time and advice.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3