Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] sonixj problems

Thanks to both of you Hans and Jean-Francois!
See my response below.

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Janusz Jurski wrote:
> > and the /dev/video0 device appears - no errors or suspicious messages in
> > kernel log returned by dmesg.
> >

> What does get returned by dmesg?

The log follows:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
gspca: main v2.3.0 registered
gspca: probing 0c45:612a
sonixj: Sonix chip id: 12
videodev: "" has no release callback. Please fix your driver for proper
sysfs su
pport, see http://lwn.net/Articles/36850/
gspca: probe ok
usbcore: registered new driver sonixj
sonixj: registered

> please use that version. See:
> http://moinejf.free.fr/gspca_README.txt

I checked the readme and compiled/installed V4L library, as I had not
done this previously (thanks to Jean-Francois for emphasizing this).
However, the output of stream is still the same:

jj@piw:/mnt/dane/samba/motion.src$
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so streamer -ddd -o a.jpeg
checking writer files [multiple image files] ...
  video name=ppm ext=ppm: ext mismatch [need jpeg]
  video name=pgm ext=pgm: ext mismatch [need jpeg]
  video name=jpeg ext=jpeg: OK
files / video: JPEG (JFIF) / audio: none
vid-open: trying: v4l2-old...
vid-open: failed: v4l2-old
vid-open: trying: v4l2...
ioctl:
VIDIOC_QUERYCAP(driver="";card="";bus_info="";version=0.0.0;capabilities=0x0
[]): Invalid argument
vid-open: failed: v4l2
vid-open: trying: v4l...
vid-open: failed: v4l
no grabber device available
jj@piw:/mnt/dane/samba/motion.src$

> Note that streamer is part of xawtv and xawtv has known bugs which are
> triggered in certain use cases when used together with gspca, you should
> really
> compile xawtv with this patch:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=313380

I did not do this - I believe, however, it is not the reason. The
problem seems more basic/generic - doesn't it? Especially, because the
output of motion is again the same:

jj@piw:/mnt/dane/samba/motion.src/motion-3.2.3$
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so ./motion -n -ddd -c
`pwd`/motion.conf
[0] Processing thread 0 - config file
/mnt/dane/samba/motion.src/motion-3.2.3/motion.conf
[1] Thread is from /mnt/dane/samba/motion.src/motion-3.2.3/motion.conf
[1] Thread started
[1] ioctl (VIDIOCGCAP): Invalid argument
[1] Capture error calling vid_start
[1] Thread finishing...
jj@piw:/mnt/dane/samba/motion.src/motion-3.2.3$

Thanks,