Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] Announcing libv4l 0.1

Jean-Francois Moine wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 23:57 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> 	[snip]
>> For those interested you can get libv4l1 here:
>> http://people.atrpms.net/~hdegoede/libv4l-0.1.tar.gz
> 	[snip]
>
> Hello Hans,
>
> Very fine job, thanks! But..
>
> - I had a compilation error on a Debian lenny. See attachement.

Yes, a known problem, some system have a broken videodev.2 which fails to
include some headers (including ioctl.h) which it needs.

I'll apply your patch as a workaround.

> - while Skype works fine, VLC fails with the same v4l1 palette.
Ah, I'll investigate this.

> - cheese fails too.
I'll investigate this too, thanks for testing!

> BTW, I included your changes in gspcav2 2.0.4, but I forgot the pixel
> format in spca561. Also I was wondering about it: there is a decoding
> routine in the driver. Shouldn't it be better to let the driver give raw
> frames and do the decoding in the library?

Actual my local gspcav2 already has the decoding stripped out of the driver and
spca561 decoding already is supported (and tested) in libv4l-0.1, I didn't
submit patches for this yet as I wasn't sure if you would accept them. Once we
start removing in driver decoding the current helper in gspcav2 becomes pretty
useless unless it gets extended with support for all the cam specific formats.

As far as I'm concerned the helper can be removed as a full userspace solution
is much simpler, but I'm not sure which direction you want to go,

Regards,

Hans