Web lists-archives.com

[Spca50x-devs] Logiteck Quickcam Chat resolution

I have a Logitech Quickcam Chat (046d:092c).  I was pleased to find that
is was supported (by gspcav1) by Ubuntu 8.04 out of the box.  (Not so for
Fedora 9 -- they avoid out of tree drivers, as we know.)

To test the camera, I did an "acquire" under the GIMP.  This invoked
xsane which in turn used the v4l library or API.

The only resolution that xsane offered me was 160x120, either 8-bit
grey-scale or 24-bit colour.  When I look at the specs for this camera, I
see

According to the specifications here:
  http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/38/281&cl=us,en
I think that the resolution ought to be 352x288 or perhaps 320x240.  The
640x480 resolution appears to involve interpolation.

Why am I only offered 160x120?  Is that a camera issue, a gspcav1 issue, a
v4l issue, an xsane issue, a GIMP issue, or an ignorant user issue?