Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] any support for 046d:08d9 Logitech,

On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:57:23 +0930, Arthur Marsh
<arthur.marsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Thanks, I built it on Debian unstable and used checkinstall to install it.
>
>On vlc, once I had set the capture device to use /dev/video0, I saw the
>web cam light up and a green screen.
>
>I also received:
>
>Message from syslogd@symone at Mon May 12 10:47:56 2008 ...
>symone gspca_hlp: open /dev/gspca_hlp failed
>
>although:
>
>ls -al /dev/gs*
>crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 60 2008-05-12 10:47 /dev/gspca_hlp
>
>Could there be a permissions problem with /dev/gspca_hlp ?

Hello Arthur,

I do not know about 'checkinstall'. I think there are problem in your
installation. The best way is to follow the README installation, first
method, using 'make install' as root. This will:
	- copy the modules to /lib/modules/... and do a 'depmod',
	- copy the helper to /sbin.
Then, when you plug the webcam, the required modules are loaded in
the kernel, and the process /sbin/gspca_hlp is started as root (so,
there is no need to change the permissions of /dev/gspca_hlp).

With your current installation, as the helper process does not start,
vlc may not find correct images. Then, you may start the helper by
hand:
	chmod 666 /dev/gspca_hlp
	./gspca_hlp &

Thank you for your trace, but, please, don't set the debug level to
its highest value. Generally setting it to '0x0f' outputs enough
information.

Best regards,

--
Ken ar c'hentañ	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/