Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] 0ac8:307b test gspcav2-0.0.25

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:39:05 +0200, jmarco <jmbrive@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>...Un petit detail:
>
>> Jean-Francois Moine a écrit :
>
>>> - You told 'la webcam des momes' (0ac8:301b) did work with gspca v1.
>Oui, avec de nombreux lecteurs j'en parle dans le post: (plus haut)
>Re: ...pour info avec 301b
>mieux qu'avec gspca v2. (pour le moment...)
>
>>>   Does it work with gspca v2?
>oui uniquement avec luvcview,
>c'est le detail que je donne dans mon 1er post
>
>Question:
>   - quelle sont les differences entre gspca v2 et v1 ?
>merci,

Here they are:

- kernel interface.

  Most applications use the v4l1 interface, while luvcview is only v4l2,
  and it does not work with gspca v1 (some v4l1 applications _may_ work
  with gspca v2 which accepts the v4l1 interface).

- frame decoding.

  gspca v1 cannot be in the official kernel because it contains
  frame decoding functions. That is why most v4l1 applications work.

  gspca v2 will soon in the kernel (2.6.27?) and does not contains
  any decoding function. That is why most applications don't work
  except luvcview which accepts JPEG and YUYV frames.

- design.

  gspca v1 is only one module while gspca v2 is one main module and
  (actually) 19 subdrivers (modules).

gspca v2 may be used with an other module, 'jpegdec', which translates
JPEG frames to RGB/BGR 24/32, YUV420 and YUYV. Care! This module does
not work correctly; it may alterate or even crash your system. I am
working on it.

As everyone wants working drivers for her webcam, we (Michel and I)
are thinking of a usermode driver based on gspca. This one will be
simpler to install and more secure for the system. Be patient, we
hope to have something working this summer...

--
Ken ar c'hentañ	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/