Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] Is gspca driver obsolete?

On Jan 5, 2008 8:50 PM, Flávio R. Sampaio <ronisons@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The following page says: "Compared to the opensource SN9C1XX and the
> obsolete GSPCA driver, the Generic SN9CXXX driver provides better video
> quality at higher framerate, supports more hardware and works with any
> application". It's true?
>
> Ref: http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=136

I don't believe that's true.  Ubuntu 7.10 uses the GSPCA driver to
support some webcams (including my Intel CS110 camera).  It may be
that the functionality provided by GSPCA for certain webcams is
obsolete (for example, the webcam might be better supported by another
driver), but there are definitely webcams that work best with the
GSPCA driver (at least the Ubuntu people think so).

The individual running that web site may be wishing to suggest that
GSPCA is obsolete to suggest people use their driver instead of the
GSPCA driver.  The support in GSPCA for SN9CXXX chipsets is likely
much worse than that provided by the driver on the web page you linked
(since GSPCA doesn't support SN9CXXX chipsets as far as I know).  But
it was definitely an over-simplification to say that the GSPCA driver
is "obsolete".

In case it is relevant to the discussion, the driver provided on the
web site you linked is proprietary and costs US$14 for a full version.

Denver