Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] Fwd: [Fwd: [Alexandria-staff] minor foul language in old source]

On Nov 12, 2007 9:36 PM, Denver Gingerich <denver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since it seems unlikely that Michel will start using Sourceforge's
CVS/SVN and web site services anytime soon, I suggest that we disable
most of the current spca50x Sourceforge project.  The specific actions
I would like to take are:

- disable CVS - this removes the CVS link from the project page, but
does not delete any content; effectively CVS is unavailable to new
users if we don't mention it anywhere
- hide all file releases (since the latest release contains offensive language)
- make it very clear on the web site (http://spca50x.sourceforge.net/)
and the main project page ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/spca50x/)
that only the mailing list and bug tracker are hosted on Sourceforge;
everything else is on Michel's site

I don't care whether or not there's a site on sourceforge or elsewhere. But I would really appreciate a public repository for the source code.

Some reasons:
* it's easier for someone to understand how webcam support is added and improved. I cannot today look at the individual changes and understand how things work from that.
* it's much easier for potential external developers to keep track of changes on their own trees
* if one uses git and if one is interested in pushing the code upstream, it will definitively help

Of course it's initially slightly more work for the maintainer, but if done correctly, it shouldn't even matter. E.g. using git locally on the machine and merging with a remote tree should be a no-brainer.

So is using a source control tool something completely out of the question ?

Cheers,

Jerome