Web lists-archives.com

[Spca50x-devs] webcam compatibilty

My new camera does not appear to be supported by gspca (or any other linux
driver)
it's a
Z-Star Webcam: ID 0ac8:307b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.

Yet another Tiawanese "Quckcam"
Any work done in this area yet?

complaining session:
This is my second webcam that doesn't work in Linux.
In my experience, it's really hard to buy a Linux compatible webcam, because
even though you know the chipsets that work, there doesn't seem to be any way
to look up what the chipset is from the product name.
Everything is just "Windows capable", check your brain at the door.
aaarg.
To make things worse, everything seems to be a "Quickcam" or a "Webcam Pro"
even when the internal hardware is completely different!

Maybe we could add a links table to the gspca supported webcam list or
something, some way to link a chipset to a manufacturer would be awesome.

thx again,
NZG