Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] sn9c201 + ov9650

On Nov 7, 2007 6:08 PM, Vasily Khoruzhick <anarsoul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dave Neuer wrote:
> > Right. Most people working on open source projects do so on their
> > spare time. I understand that.
>
> > The fact that you do it on your spare time doesn't mean:
>
> > a) you have to be rude to users (or potential users) of your software
> > b) you cannot also give a quick summary of how much progress you've made
> > c) you cannot also give (even wildly inaccurate) estimates of how long
> > it will take
> > c) you have to actively discourage potential contributors from getting
> involved
>
> Hey, do you think that you encourage author to do something with mails like
> this one? :)
>
> Developing/maintaining gspca is his
> hobby, and he hasn't to work on it when he doesn't have enought time, or just
> doesn't want to work on it :) But you behave yourself like you customer and
> mr. Xhaard is developer hired by you.

No, I'm a software developer who has one of these cameras in a Linux
laptop, and I offered to help. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's
honestly that rude to inquire about progress, particularly in the
context of such an offer.

Since Michel doesn't appear to be interested in that help, I have no
choice but to wait.

Dave