Web lists-archives.com

[Spca50x-devs] [Fwd: Re: help with [046d:092f] quickcam express]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Spca50x-devs] help with [046d:092f] quickcam express
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:26:00 +0200
From: Peter Gostelow <gostelow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Thomas Kaiser <spca5xx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 06:14:59PM +0200, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Peter Gostelow wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >I bought a quickcam express for my gnu/linux box and am now looking for a
> >driver. I tried both the spca5xx (for Linux 2.4.20) and gspcav1-20070508
> >(Linux 2.6.9) without success. I don't exactly know the right question
> >to ask here, but the obvious is: does the qc driver support the 092f?
> >
> >The problem is the module (spca5xx) loads, but /proc/bus/devices shows
> >driver=(none) for alts 1 - 13 and opening /dev/video0 returns error 19.
> >Also, rmmod claims the module is busy and refuses to unload it. No, I
> >haven't applied the hotplug kernel patch, yet. It would help just to know
> >I'm using the right package before hacking further :)
> >
> >My idea is to output the camera to theora and mix it with vorbis over an
> >ogg stream.
> >
> >Please help the Newbie
> >Peter

> Hello Peter
>
> According to http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html and
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/news.html the cam is supported since gspcav1 release
> 1.00.04 of 25th, September 2006.
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> http://www.kaiser-linux.li
Hi Thomas

Thanks for the reply. I found the problem in spca5xx.c:5656

static struct usb_driver spca5xx_driver = {
#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE > KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,20)
     THIS_MODULE,
#endif
     "spca5xx",
     spca5xx_probe,
     spca5xx_disconnect,
     {NULL, NULL}
};

The usb_driver for my 2.4.20 requires THIS_MODULE, so changing the test
from > to >= worked for me. I should've paid more attention to the compiler
warnings, but I assumed the code was good and the compiler bad:)

I'm now trying to decode the framebuffer, so far it appears to be rgb24,
but QT only supports 1, 8, 16, and 32, so I'll see how SDL handles it. The
spcagui worked fine, but froze the desktop when trying to quit. Ah well ...

You guys are doing a great job!
peter

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li