Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] http://mxhaard.free.fr offline or death ?

Le Jeudi 5 Juillet 2007 16:49, Dave Neuer a écrit :
> On 7/5/07, Michel Xhaard <mxhaard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I asked before whether there is a public source repository and got no
> > > answer.
> >
> > There are not
>
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > > Is there any reason that the development process for this
> > > stuff is so closed?
> >
> > It is not, send me a patch, i will apply to the current code, if it did
> > not break another webcam.
>
> Sorry, the "it is not" part of this statement seems to me to conflict
> w/ your answer to my first question.
Hmm, it is not closed the last code is public ,but my reverse engeneering
investigation is not. I have notimes for that.

> > > I'm sure there are a number of folks w/ this
> > > hardware who have the time,
> >
> > Not sure, many complains, but as far as i know ,no one are trying to
> > improve my v4l2 gspca base.
>
> So, say I want to contribute to the development of the drivers for the
> Microdia devices about which people (including myself) have been
> asking, and for which there has supposedly (according to your comments
> here and on the usb-video mailing list) been some progress made
> already; without visibility into what has been done already, I have to
> re-create the work you have already done.
Yes, you have to work to understand how a sn9c201 usb2.0 chips is working.
Hopefully gspcav1 have been rewrite to understand usb2.0 :)

> Beside being bad from a duplication of effort standpoint, it's also
> possible that I'll implement  the parts you already implemented
> differently than you did; if my useful changes depend on that
> difference, you then can't even get my useful parts -- the ones you
> haven't completed -- without altering or undoing your own work.
At this point there are no duplication, the chips documentation is unknow, the
video stream is unknow, trial and error(s) are needed. I will be happy, if
another developper is working on "Kernel crash pleasure" :)

> Does this make sense? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, merely trying
> to understand why development of this stuff is closed in the sense of
> "outsiders can't see the progress." I.e., what is the reason there's
> not a public source repository?
There are one from the past on sourceforge, but i did not like it :)

--
Michel Xhaard
http://mxhaard.free.fr