Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Spca50x-devs] http://mxhaard.free.fr offline or death ?

On 7/5/07, Michel Xhaard <mxhaard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Jeudi 5 Juillet 2007 15:44, Dave Neuer a écrit:

> > > I've had a talk with Michel some days ago.
> > >
> > > Development is slow but on its way (or on its way but slow :)).
> >
> > I asked before whether there is a public source repository and got no
> > answer.
> There are not
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > Is there any reason that the development process for this
> > stuff is so closed?
> It is not, send me a patch, i will apply to the current code, if it did not
> break another webcam.

Sorry, the "it is not" part of this statement seems to me to conflict
w/ your answer to my first question.

> > I'm sure there are a number of folks w/ this
> > hardware who have the time,
> Not sure, many complains, but as far as i know ,no one are trying to improve
> my v4l2 gspca base.

So, say I want to contribute to the development of the drivers for the
Microdia devices about which people (including myself) have been
asking, and for which there has supposedly (according to your comments
here and on the usb-video mailing list) been some progress made
already; without visibility into what has been done already, I have to
re-create the work you have already done.

Beside being bad from a duplication of effort standpoint, it's also
possible that I'll implement  the parts you already implemented
differently than you did; if my useful changes depend on that
difference, you then can't even get my useful parts -- the ones you
haven't completed -- without altering or undoing your own work.

Does this make sense? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, merely trying
to understand why development of this stuff is closed in the sense of
"outsiders can't see the progress." I.e., what is the reason there's
not a public source repository? Is it due to lacking infrastructure?
Author philosophy? Something else?

Dave