Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Inconsistency with LANMAN1 and Samba 4.9

On 31.05.19 20:40, Jeremy Allison wrote:
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 07:09:44PM +0200, Andreas Reichel wrote:
When adding me as the user with 'smbpasswd -a andreas', and entering a password,
no LANMAN hash is generated. The generated smbpasswd entry always contains 32 X as the first hash.

When I do the same with Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu, the hash IS generated correctly.

When I manually add the hash in 4.9.4, I still cannot connect from Win 3.11 and always get access denied.

In 4.3.11, it works flawlessly, I can connect from Windows 3.11 without any problem.

Question: Is this intended? And if yes, why are there all these options still settable?
You may be running into this code in passdb:

bool pdb_set_plaintext_passwd(struct samu *sampass, const char *plaintext)
{
          if (!E_deshash(plaintext, new_lanman_p16)) {
                  /* E_deshash returns false for 'long' passwords (> 14
                     DOS chars).  This allows us to match Win2k, which
                     does not store a LM hash for these passwords (which
                     would reduce the effective password length to 14 */

                  if (!pdb_set_lanman_passwd (sampass, NULL, PDB_CHANGED))
                          return False;
          } else {
                  if (!pdb_set_lanman_passwd (sampass, new_lanman_p16, PDB_CHANGED))
                          return False;
          }

Is the password greater that 14 characters ? If so, looks like
we won't store it.
No, it has 8 characters. And I tried to enter the hash manually into the
smbpasswd, which didn't work either. It is as if samba 4.9.4 would
ignore lanman completely.
Hmmm. Sounds like a bug. Are you able to use gdb to
walk through the call stack to debug ?

If not someone here will do it, but you might have
to wait a while (log a bug at bugzilla.samba.org
so we can track it) as getting LANMAN auth working
is low priority (it's completely insecure I'm afraid).

Jeremy.

Okay, I am relieved you say it sounds like a bug. If it is not important
to the group, I can surely take a debug session, but I don't know when I
have time for it. I will log a bug, thanks so far.

Andreas