Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Windows 7 User can't change password

On 31/05/2019 18:03, Luke Barone via samba wrote:
Hi list,

Windows 7 Pro, joined to an NT-style domain hosted by Samba 4.5.16-Debian,
installed by Apt. A user had issues authenticating with FreeRADIUS on the
server, so I changed the password from terminal to a generic password, and
logged her in. I then asked her to change her password by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Delete -> Change Password. I typed in the generic password, and
told her to type in her new password, following our password rules, and
pressing Enter. She keeps getting "Username or password incorrect".

Below is my smb.conf file, as outputted by "testparm -s":
# Global parameters
[global]
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
         netbios name = SAMBA
         server string = ""
         workgroup = WORKGROUPNAME
         domain master = Yes
         preferred master = Yes
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
         domain logons = Yes
         logon drive = h:
         logon script = login.bat
         allow insecure wide links = Yes
         name resolve order = wins host bcast
         server max protocol = NT1
         unix extensions = No
         check password script = /usr/local/sbin/complex_PW_check
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *updated*
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         security = USER
         unix password sync = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         printing = lprng
         admin users = machine

(Yes, I know insecure wide links are vulnerable, but I was over-ruled)

Thoughts on why Windows 7 won't let the user change their own password? I
don't know when this issue started.

Anything in /var/log/auth.log or /var/log/syslog on the Samba server ?