Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Integration Windows Server 2012

On 30/05/2019 13:28, Dirk Streubel wrote:
Hello Rowland,

thanks a lot for the quick answer :-)

Am 30.05.19 um 12:12 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
On 30/05/2019 11:04, Dirk Streubel via samba wrote:
Hello,

i've read a few month here in the list that in Samba 4.11 it will be
possible to join a Windows 2012 Server to an active Samba AD Structure.
This would be nice, but what about 2016 / 19 Servers. Are there to many
Problems withe the new schema of the 2016 / 19 Server?
One step at a time, we need to get to 2012 first ;-)

This is actively being worked on and once we get there, it is thought
that the next jump jump to 2016 will be a lot easier
So, with Samba Version 4.11 it would be 2012 an with Version 4.12 then
Server 2016 or what are the plans of the Samba Team? :-[
As far as I am aware 2012 is planned for 4.11 (but as I am sure you are aware, plans can change), after that I am sure that 2016 will be added as soon as possible.

Another Question: what about the Forest function level and the Domain
function level that come out of the Box with Samba.

I use here Fedora 30 and the Levels are 2008_R2 and i can't raise to
2012_R2. Are there any plans to rise this up to a higher level out of
the box or is this only a Fedora Problem.
Can I ask if you are using the standard Fedora Samba packages for your
DC ?

If you are, are you also aware that they are marked as experimental
because they use MIT kerberos ?
Good question Rowland, i don't know exactly why i use the standard
Fedora Samba Packages.
Well, if you don't know, who does ;-)

And yes, i know that MIT Kerberos is experimental. Maybe i would chose
Heimdal Kerberos and build my own Packages on my Fedora System.

I suggest you read this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Running_a_Samba_AD_DC_with_MIT_Kerberos_KDC

It may help.

There is nothing wrong with using the distro packages, except that quite a few things do not work, this is why it is marked experimental.