Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba4 DNS SOA Records

On 27/05/2019 08:28, Julien TEHERY via samba wrote:
Hi

I have a setup with 2 DC on a main site, et 14 DCs which are located on 7 AD sites. I recently noticed in my DNS zones that my SOA record is associated to the last DC that was joined to the domain.
But this DC is located on one of the remote sites.

Is this behavior normal or would it be better if I updated this record via "samba-tool dns update" to point it to one of my 3 main DCs ?

All DC's are authoritative for the dns domain (they are all masters, it's called multi-master), so they should all be associated with the SOA record.

If I ask each DC in my domain (I have two) for the SOA, I get this:

root@dc4:~# host -t soa samdom.example.com
samdom.example.com has SOA record dc4.samdom.example.com. hostmaster.samdom.example.com. 8283 900 600 86400 3600

root@dc5:~# host -t soa samdom.example.com
samdom.example.com has SOA record dc5.samdom.example.com. hostmaster.samdom.example.com. 8283 900 600 86400 3600

As you can see, each claims to be the master.