Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Upgraded from CentOS 6.X to 7.X, samba not working

On 27/05/2019 01:26, Jobst Schmalenbach via samba wrote:
On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 03:45:31PM +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba (samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
You should have looked before upgrading. ...
I actually did, I remember now (after I read your suggestions).

On this page (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba) it actually says:

    If you update to Samba 4 and later, you do not have to migrate to Active Directory.

That was enough for me at that time.

I KNOW I have to update at some stage but in the moment I am getting conflicting messages.
On the webpage it still says I can use old type NT domains.

So is this still possible to runb NT style domains on the latest samba?

Theoretically they should work, but I tested setting up a new PDC on Samba 4.6.3 (so you can see this was some time ago) and whilst I did get it to work, it was extremely difficult. There was also the problem that whilst I can set up a Unix domain member against an AD DC at the drop of an hat, I could not get one to work in the same against a PDC, i had to use nslcd to see any domain users & groups.

There is also the problem of smbldap-tools (if you use it), this is not just EOL, it is a dead project, as far as I can see, it no longer has a code base anywhere on the internet, so it just needs a change to Perl to stop it working.

My reasoning: I want to get all upgrades out of the way, then update samba ...
I understand your problem, but (and here is a first) I agree with Reindl, using RHEL is all very well and good, but it is based on old package versions and this means that when the time comes to update, it is usually a large jump. Large corporations can deal with this, but smaller ones struggle, so if you must use a red-hat based distro, use Fedora, yes you will need to upgrade more often, but the changes will be smaller and current.