Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

On 21/05/2019 11:20, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
Now, add to this the problem Rowland and i are looking into, found recently.
A "renamed" computer, might have or is missing or has wrong settings in AD.
A common problem we found yesterday, that also exists in windows itself and caused by windows clients.
And these found bugs found in windows are inherreted in samba, not always.. But in this case it is.

To add to this, if you rename a domain computer on Windows, you do not get the following changed in the Samba AD object:

dn, cn, name and distinguishedname

Whilst if you use ldbrename on an AD DC, exactly the opposite happens and you cannot tell the difference by examining the computer object.

The main problem I have with this is, is this a windows problem or a Samba problem ? I cannot find anything that definitely says that when you rename a computer, everything should be changed. Lots of webpages that infer this is the case, but nothing that shows a computer object before and after a rename, or lists what should be changed.