Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

On 21/05/2019 10:44, Sven Schwedas via samba wrote:
Once again, something with Samba thirty bazillion components broke. Once
again, my choices for logging are "nothing" or "15 MB/s spread of ten
different files, because 'client authentication failed' totally needs to
be lower priority than malloc debug info". Once again, none of these
messages is actually able to convey what broke, where, why. Why is it
impossible for Samba to provide useful error reporting? How is anyone
supposed to use this in production? Why is the only way we have to
troubleshoot is having Rowland and LPH bike shedding over smb.conf
formatting styles for two weeks until the problem randomly solves itself?

Hi, its the ace bike shedder here ;-)

The main reason why we have to 'bike shed' is the lack of info provided. Many initial posts basically start with 'help, it doesn't work', no mention of what doesn't work or why, no mention of OS or version of Samba and sometimes getting information can feel like extracting teeth ;-)

You can get better logging, can I suggest you read the manpage for smb.conf: man smb.conf

Pay attention to these parameters: log file, logging, log level, max log size, syslog only, syslog

Having said all that, what OS and Samba version? What is in your smb.conf and most importantly, what isn't working with authentication ?