Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Fw: Btrfs Samba and Quotas

On 18/05/2019 14:19, Hendrik Friedel wrote:
Hello

No, probably a lack of users using your combination of Samba, btrfs and quotas.
I would have thought that btrfs is becoming more mainstream now. And then, Samba and Quotas should be rather common...

Is btrfs becoming more common ?

Of course, more info may help, what is in your smb.conf etc.
Added at the end of this mail.

Why are you using a filesystem that your OS doesn't officially support ?
That implies, that it would be better with any other OS. Are you saying, that this is a known samba bug, that has been fixed, but the fix has just not yet made it into Debian? Otherwise, I don't understand the background of the question.
Appart from that:
Btrfs support was introduced in DebianSqueeze <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze>.

You posted this:

I am using Openmediavault (debian based NAS distribution), which is not actively supporting btrfs

It is this that I was referring to.

> I tried brtfs several times together with samba and (sorry to say this)
> it just a pain in the a.. Never use it together with quotas or CTDB it
> will crash after short time. I only take xfs and have no problem at all.
> I don't know wy, but it's not good idea to user brtfs with samba.

Well, as long as this is not being reported and being improved, it will remain that way...

Possibly, but it works great with ext4
> I wonder, are your clients Linux or Windows systems?
Windows (10)

> I wonder if upgrading servers may not be so wise.
What do you mean by that?

Regards,
Hendrik

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
#======================= Global Settings =======================
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = %h server
dns proxy = no
log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
logging = syslog
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = no
unix password sync = no
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
guest account = nobody
load printers = no
disable spoolss = yes
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
unix extensions = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
use sendfile = yes
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384
local master = yes
time server = no
wins support = no

[Dokumente]
path = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DataPool1/Dokumente
guest ok = no
read only = no
browseable = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit permissions = no
ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
vfs objects =
printable = no
create mask = 0664
force create mode = 0664
directory mask = 0775
force directory mode = 0775
hide special files = yes
follow symlinks = yes
hide dot files = yes
valid users = "henfri"
invalid users =
read list =
write list = "henfri"

I suggest you sit down with a copy of 'man smb.conf' and remove all the default lines, then add either 'security = user' or 'server role = standalone server', you will also have to remove 'unix password sync = no' and create users (with passwords) to get your Standalone Server working correctly.