Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba4 changing a user's password from linux workstation

On 5/14/19 9:58 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
On 14/05/2019 14:35, Luc Lalonde wrote:
Hello Rowland,

We’ve been using SSSD with Acitve Directory for a few years now…  It’s been solid for us.

I never said it wasn't solid (possibly because it it is built on top of some of the winbind code), I just said that you do not need it.

Our Linux clients use the AD-Kerberos via SSSD for secure NFS4 mounts with POSIX attributes defined in AD (uidNumber, gidNumber, unixHomeDirectory, loginShell).
Funnily enough, you can do all of the above with winbind.

Before putting into production, I tested using Winbind and could not get it to do what I wanted.   If I remember correctly, I had problems with groups.   I didn’t want DOMAIN\groupname…  just groupname to show.   I don’t remember why this was causing me problems… just that this was the main reason.

You mean something like this:

getent group Domain\ Users
domain users:x:10000:testuser,user27,saducuser,testuser2,sudouser,user26,swanadmin,ktestuser,testuser1,example$,kte.....

If it didn't work for you, then your smb.conf was mis-configured.

At the time, I found that the documentation for integrating AD with Linux was best documented… in particular at RedHat:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/windows_integration_guide/summary-direct

They give further reasons for choosing SSSD over Winbind in that document.

That just basically says 'Hey, use our product', it doesn't really say why and just how sssd is better than winbind.

I avoid SSSD discussions on this list for two reasons, It isn't a support list for SSSD and this kind or responses. winbind is not perfect and some people use SSSD with valid reasons. If we can't discuss why people choose it instead of winbind, always saying that winbind is enough, those people will continue to use sssd.

My two reasons for using SSSD:

1) I have servers that need to be joined to a non Windows Kerberos realm (MIT Kerberos managed by FreeIPA), this automate many things like for example services certificates generation and renewal. Those servers need at the same time to be joined to an AD domain. Using SSSD/Reamld makes the configuration of those realms too easy, with a single INI like configuration file, without the need to mess with PAM configuration that it is too easy to make a hole in your security, especially when configuring multiple realms like this setup. This will never be achieved by winbind because it should never have the responsibility to interact with non AD realms.

2) SSSD provides an option to generate synthetic private groups [1] for users without having to manually manage primary groups on AD, or having to create groups for that, or polluting AD with a lot of groups named like users. The default winbind/AD that the primary group is Domains Users is a security headache that requires to change the default umask of those users in order to avoid leaking data to all domain members. This is an option that could help winbind users if implemented. I remember mentioning it here previously but never created a RFE bug, I didn't get any response so I forgot, my mistake, I should have created it.

[1] https://docs.pagure.org/SSSD.sssd/design_pages/auto_private_groups.html

You do not need either sssd or realmd, just about the only thing that sssd can do that winbind cannot do, is cache sudo rules, I think you will find that if you need cached sudo rules, you have much bigger problems. As for realmd, a bit of bash and 'net ads join' will do the same.

But hey, it is your computer, you use what you want, just don't expect to get help with non Samba products here.