Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba4 changing a user's password from linux workstation

On 14/05/2019 14:35, Luc Lalonde wrote:
Hello Rowland,

We’ve been using SSSD with Acitve Directory for a few years now…  It’s been solid for us.

I never said it wasn't solid (possibly because it it is built on top of some of the winbind code), I just said that you do not need it.

Our Linux clients use the AD-Kerberos via SSSD for secure NFS4 mounts with POSIX attributes defined in AD (uidNumber, gidNumber, unixHomeDirectory, loginShell).
Funnily enough, you can do all of the above with winbind.

Before putting into production, I tested using Winbind and could not get it to do what I wanted.   If I remember correctly, I had problems with groups.   I didn’t want DOMAIN\groupname…  just groupname to show.   I don’t remember why this was causing me problems… just that this was the main reason.

You mean something like this:

getent group Domain\ Users
domain users:x:10000:testuser,user27,saducuser,testuser2,sudouser,user26,swanadmin,ktestuser,testuser1,example$,kte.....

If it didn't work for you, then your smb.conf was mis-configured.

At the time, I found that the documentation for integrating AD with Linux was best documented… in particular at RedHat:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/windows_integration_guide/summary-direct

They give further reasons for choosing SSSD over Winbind in that document.

That just basically says 'Hey, use our product', it doesn't really say why and just how sssd is better than winbind.

You do not need either sssd or realmd, just about the only thing that sssd can do that winbind cannot do, is cache sudo rules, I think you will find that if you need cached sudo rules, you have much bigger problems. As for realmd, a bit of bash and 'net ads join' will do the same.

But hey, it is your computer, you use what you want, just don't expect to get help with non Samba products here.