Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba4 changing a user's password from linux workstation

On 14/05/2019 12:58, Julien TEHERY via samba wrote:
I've gotten pretty unhappy with "realmd" and "sssd". They try to hide
a lot of steps away from the user, but the internal interactions are a
bit of a "mousetrap" game. When it works, you get the mouse. But if
any of the many steps are even slightly worn, it becomes erratic or
fails.

Update: In fact i succeeded in reseting user password from a linux workstation with kpasswd through pam_sssd. At the beginning I thought we were prompted directly for new password, but we had to first type in the old one before choosing a new one.

kpasswd has nothing to do with sssd, it prompts for the old password, then the new password (twice), it then changes the users password.

smbpasswd works in the same way (and it works with AD)

I cannot understand why anybody uses sssd, it is a program that requires separate configuration and does very little that winbind (only one config file) doesn't. Just what does sssd give you, what do you need it for ?