Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] How to mount a share without using -o vers=1.0 ?

On 13/05/2019 18:52, Steve Litt via samba wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2019 17:40:00 +0100
Rowland penny via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 13/05/2019 17:05, Steve Litt via samba wrote:
[snip]

Any advice on how to perform this mount without -o vers=1.0 would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SteveT
Steve, Your version of Samba is too old, it only understands SMBv1,
any way you can upgrade Samba ?

Rowland
I hope so. The Void Linux packagers just confirmed that they're
shipping 8 year old 3.6.25_14, have little incentive to update, and
consider Samba "a complex system designed originally to replace AD, it
has lots of moving parts and usually includes a lot of vendored libs".

It wasn't originally designed to replace AD, it was designed to connect to Windows PC's

How about this for incentive, there are so many bugs and security concerns in 3.6.x that you could drive a tractor through them. Do not use 3.6.x , it isn't safe.

Whilst it wasn't designed to replace AD, it can now.

Ugh!

So I'll need to do it myself. A couple questions:

1) Is it true that 4.9.4 is the latest stable release?

No, the latest version is 4.10.2

2) What is my easiest way to build 4.9.4. If git,  what's my git
command to build 4.9.4 rather than the nightly bleeding edge?

The easiest way would to download the latest tarball:

https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.10.2.tar.gz

Then read these:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/File_System_Support

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source

Or alternatively dump Void, use Devuan and this repo:

http://apt.van-belle.nl/