Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Windows 2012 server as a member?

On 5/4/19 11:15 PM, Robert Wooden via samba wrote:

Your statement backs up the information that I am "gleaning" from various
sources that W2012/W2016 Server (Essentials) CAN be  joined as a
workstation OS machine.

Foreword: I'm no expert on M$ licensing (and hope I'll never need to be).

On your first question you just talked about W2012; now you add the word "Essentials" to the picture.
AFAIK, this really makes the difference!
See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_Essentials.

A couple of sentences from there:
_ Windows Small Business Server must be the root of the Active Directory forest.
_ Small Business Server always runs on the domain controller...

So, if I understand it correctly: W2012 *Essentials* cannot be a member; other editions can.

I'd be glad if proved wrong.
HTH.

 bye