Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Incorrect Example in Samba User Management Documentation

Thanks Rowland.

Stephen

On Fri, 3 May 2019 10:45:43 +0100
Stephen via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Samba documentation admins, one of the the examples given on this
page https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_and_Group_management is
incorrect and probably should be updated.

The snippet of code in question:

$ samba-tool user add fbaggins
   --random-password --use-username-as-cn
   --surname="Baggins" --given-name="Frodo"
   --initials=S --mail-address=fbaggins@SAM.DOMAIN.LOCAL.
   --company="Hobbiton Inc." --script-path=shire.bat
   --profile-path=\\\\ADSMmeber.SAM.DOMAIN.LOCAL\\profiles\\fbaggins
   --home-drive=F
   --home-directory=\\\\ADSMmeber.SAM.DOMAIN.LOCAL\\fbaggins
   --job-title="Goes there and back again"

This won't work as presented currently. As I rediscovered myself
recently the --random-password switch is intended ONLY to be used to
secure system accounts that perform background tasks. Whilst
--random-password sets a random password, the chosen password is
deliberately and on purpose not revealed to the end user. So it
cannot be used to create user accounts for human beings as the
example in the documentation currently suggests.

Thanks
Stephen Ellwood

I have updated the wiki page as requested.