Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Specifying an IPv6 wildcard in the interfaces directive?

On 4/21/19 1:04 AM, Jeff Morris via samba wrote:
On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 3:32 PM Jeff Morris via samba
<samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My network uses reserved IPv4 addresses (192.168.2.0/24) behind a NAT
firewall, but public IPv6 addresses behind a filtering firewall.

My ISP (Comcast) assigns both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses dynamically.

As a result, the IPv4 address of my internal Samba server is statically
assigned, but its IPv6 address is dynamically assigned.
Why can't your internal DHCP server assign reserved IP addresses,
suitable to a non-routable address space?

Well, of course it *can*, and indeed that's what I'm doing for IPv4. However, best practices recommend not using NAT for IPv6. One of the main driving factors toward the global migration to IPv6 is so we can have a "flat"  Internet again, with enough address space to allow all devices to be individually addressable, like we did years ago with IPv4 (yes, I'm old enough to remember) :-), and get away from NAT, port-forwarding, and all the other horrible kludges that have been implemented over the years to try to compensate for the exhaustion of the IPv4 address space.

In the ideal world where all is IPV6 without NAT, how would you configure your server with its two addresses (which must expose different services), while delegating all address assignments to your ISP? To my understanding NAT is not only meant to "compensate for the exhaustion of the IPv4 address space", but also (and possibly more importantly) to separate the architecture of public and private networks.