Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] samba-backup.sh problems - is the /var/lib/samba/etc folder essential in a Samba installation?

You will find a better script here:
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/tree/master/backup-script

Thanks Rowland - i will definitely investigate that.

However, you really need to upgrade to a later, supported version of
Samba, Samba supported versions are 4.8.x, 4.9.x and 4.10.x
I am keen to do the upgrade, but also reluctant to build SAMBA from source myself as I would like Samba to fully integrate with Raspbian properly - a catch-22 situation. I am hoping the next Raspbian release will include some updated Samba packages.

Thankfully we should be using mainstream Debian on our fileservers, so a more up to date Samba version is at least possible there.

Thanks

Stephen Ellwood