Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] The wisdom - or otherwise - of replacing outright rather than merely appending to the example smb.conf file shipped with SAMBA during new server commissioning?

I have a general question regarding smb.conf and I was hoping that some of the rather more knowledgeable and experienced people here could please comment please?

I am currently setting my various SAMBA systems up via some shell-scripts. Within these scripts, I remove the stock smb.conf shipped with Samba and replace this with an empty smb.conf file to which I add my own configuration options afterwards. Obviously I COULD instead simply append my changes to the existing file. However currently i just remove the existing smb.conf and start again with a blank file because the alternative seemed like more hassle!

Am I potentially risking the security of my systems by replacing the stock smb.conf shipped with Samba in this way? Obviously doing what I have just described will erase all the default configuration settings shipped in the installation. Are any of the shipped default configuration parameters essential to have from a security perspective? Am I doing something stupid here?

Thanks
Stephen Ellwood