Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Am I nuts to attempt a VFS local cache module?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

I'm thinking of writing a module that intercepts Samba requests to keep only a subset of a file store on a local server with the rest being stored on a cloud.  It would be an open source module similar to these products:

https://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-sync-files-deployment-guide?tabs=azure-portal

I'm thinking that I would have to do the following.

1. Keep my own directory lists, probably in Mongodb
2. Intercept File Open,Dir,and Stat requests from Samba
3. When a request to open is received for a file that doesn't exist locally, create a thread to retrieve the file from the cloud, blocking the request until the file is retrieved.
4. Have a background process that archives files to the cloud when necessary
5. Have a background process that retrieves files from the cloud when the local store needs to be rebuilt.

If Samba does any file access operations outside of interceptable VFS requests, then I guess I'm out of luck.

The reasons I'm interested in doing this are:

1. Won't have to incessantly worry about disk size on  servers
2. Can rebuild servers seemlessly from cloud when local server is compromised.

Is this idea wrong?  Has it already been done?  Is there a better alternative?

Thanks,

Mark