Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] chown: changing ownership of 'test': Invalid argument

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 11:41:52 +0200
Ian Coetzee <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ho Roland,
>
> Replies inline
>

> > > The only user I have is the jeadmin user which is the domain
> > > admin as well as a local admin user.
> >
> > ER, no, that would be 'Administrator', is 'jeadmin' a member of
> > 'Administrators', 'Domain Admins' or some other such administration
> > group ?
> >

> We have a group policy that renames Administrator to jeadmin

OK, then where ever you see 'Administrator' on the Samba wiki etc,
replace it with 'jeadmin'

> > > Should I try renaming the local user?
> >
> > Either that or delete the user from AD or /etc/passwd, you cannot
> > have the same user in both. The user in /etc/password will normally
> > be used on the Unix OS
>

> Which is the intended course of action, so I can ssh into the servers
> with the jeadmin account in case the domain is offline (debian ssh
> denies root logins)

Ever heard of sudo ?
Log in as a normal user and then run everything with sudo, or become
root with 'su -'

> I will quickly drop the user and see if it makes a difference
>

> > before the AD user and will be the opposite way around
> > on Windows.
> >

> Yup. and using .\jeadmin to log in as a local user
>

> > Try adding this line to smb.conf:
> >
> > winbind enum users = yes, restart or reload Samba, then run 'getent
> > passwd', this should return all users, local and domain.
> >

> Oooh I sense a server overload ;-) (Lots of users in the AD)

I did say remove it after the test, I just wondered if getent was
working correctly.

> I am quite confident that nss and winbind are talking to each other
> quite nicely.

Then why isn't working ?

Last things to try, start raising the Samba loglevel and see if
anything pops out and check if Apparmor is stopping the chown.