Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Suggested change to Samba documentation - possible missing RFC2307 attribute prior to chown command?

Hi everyone, i've just been following the instructions about setting up a Samba domain member as a file shares. I am using Samba version 4.5.16-Debian (yes its old, but i'm stuck with it for now ;) ) and I have been following the official Samba documentation found here:

I just wanted to give you a heads up, I am finding that the chown step described in the aforementioned documentation is a little problematic:

chown root:"Domain Admins" /srv/samba/Demo/

When I tested it on my own domain member, joining a freshly created domain I found this step simply won't work for users using the ad backend unless they have already  added a RFC2307 gidNumber value to group "Domain Admins". Perhaps we/you should update the docs to describe how to set the gidNumber in an earlier step to avoid this issue?

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Kind Regards

Stephen Ellwood