Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Can only access new SAMBA fileshare from Windows as privileged user SAMDOM/Administrator, not as an ordinary user.

Hi Rowland, thanks for your suggestions. I have read and re-read the Samba docs to try and understand where I went wrong here.

I added the uidNumber and gidNumber exactly as per your comments and that seems to improve the situation markedly. I can now at least see that the share exists from SAMDOM\stephenellwood which wasn't possible before. File access is now possible from SAMDOM/stephenellwood when I configure NTFS security permissions to allow read and write access for group Everyone.

I am still seeing issues with fileshare access from custom AD groups though. For example, I removed the NTFS security permissions access to group Everyone on my share. I then created a group OgdenFilesUsers using the ADUC RSAT tool and added SAMDOM/stephenellwood to this. Even when security permissions are set for OgdenFilesUsers to allow read and write permissions it still won't seem to allow access. For good measure I then went and set the gidNumber attribute for my newly created OgdenFilesUsers group to 10001 but that didn't make any difference.

Thanks
Stephen Ellwood